Sunday, December 4, 2016

All About Snopes.com

To be honest, I've never heard of Snopes.com until now. In my research about the website it says that it attempts to give accurate information about rumors and urban legends on a variety of topics. As I furthered studied the site, I saw just how biased it really can be.

One article that got my attention was about one of my favorite HGTV's home design show "Fixer Upper" with Chip and Joanna Gaines. They were accused of being against same- sex marriage based on the church they attend. The pastor of the church, Antioch Community Church, did a sermon expressing the belief that marriage is between one man and one woman.one man and one women about a year ago and now the Gaines have been brought into this. Jimmy Seibert, who is the pastor of the church takes a stance against gay marriages but help those who want to become straight again find their way. 

HGTV responded with, the show does not discriminate against members of the LGBT community and include people from all walks of life. Chip Gaines also responded with, regardless if they decided to respond to this craziness, please have respect.

Another article that I thought was interesting was called Chip Shot. Supposedly, Wyoming schools are implanting students with MINI RFID. Of course it was false. The story came from The National Report. The National Report is a news and political satire website that mix the truth with fiction. 

http://www.snopes.com/politics/satire/microchip.asp

This website will not be a source for me to use unless I'm doing an assignment on false information or I'm looking for entertainment on the the weirdest story ever.. 

 

1 comment:

  1. I actually watched the new about the whole HGTV thing and fixer upper. If I can recall it was someone from TMZ posted on a blog about it. Something, just to get a rumor started. They never even talked to the Gains about their views on same sex marriage. How ridiculous for them to speculate without talking directly to the source!

    ReplyDelete